Adventures in Austria

Another country unlocked! This one wasn’t very far from Italy, and only took an hour to travel by plane.

Vienna, Austria wasn’t necessarily on my list of places that I wanted to visit, so I was a little apprehensive when two of my friends asked if I wanted to join their plans for the weekend. However, I knew that I didn’t want to waste a weekend, especially because we only have so many weeks left to travel, so I booked a flight.

Upon my arrival, I wasn’t exactly happy with my decision to come; this was because it was pouring and freezing. By “freezing” I mean 45 degrees, which feels a little embarrassing to say as a Bostonian and college student in Massachusetts who endures much lower temperatures, but compared to Florence’s temperatures, this felt brutal.

Unfortunately the poor weather lasted our whole trip, but our experiences made up for it though. The first night we ate delicious Vienna sausages (which I’m pretty sure are just hot dogs) and then explored some local bars. PS credit cards alone won’t get you by in Vienna- make sure you have cash! We didn’t have much on us and we weren’t exactly the waiters’ favorites.

Although food is typically the highlight of my trip, the art and architecture won me over in this city. We walked around the Schönbrunn Palace, and admired beautiful gardens and fountains. Across town, we visited the Belvedere Museum, where we saw both modern art and the classics, such as Klimt’s famous piece, “The Kiss”. I wouldn’t consider myself a museum-enthusiast, but this specific painting took my breath away.

Vienna pleasantly surprised me with its unique charm. I can only imagine how much more I would have liked it if the weather had been nice.